• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fujifilm X-Pro1 details leaked!!!!

X-Pro1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#1 whtchocla7e

whtchocla7e

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Fujifilm X-Pro1
- custom 16-megapixel APS-CMOS sensor incorporating a new filter array and EXR technology
- second generation hybrid viewfinder
- 18/2.0, 35/1.4, 60/2.4 prime lenses

Fujifilm Introduces First Compact System Camera

The new models include the X-Pro1, X-S1 (shipping this month at an expected $800 suggested retail) and a new F series model in the F750EXR (shipping in March at an expected $350).

The highlight of the offerings is the Fujifilm X-Pro1, which is a highly featured compact system camera. Fuji-filim said it will build on the success of the X100 model, by adding a camera that features a custom-developed 16-megapixel APS-CMOS sensor incorporating a new filter array and the company's proprietary EXR processor technology.

The camera also includes a second-generation hybrid view-finder and takes three prime interchangeable Fuji-non lenses, all with fast apertures.

The lenses include: the 18mm (27mm equivalent) f/2.0, 35mm (53mm equivalent) f/1.4 and 60mm (90mm equivalent) f/2.4.

SOURCE:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

UPDATE:

#2 Ultie

Ultie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

A big YAY for this.
I've been waiting for an X100 with the ability to change lens for so long :x

#3 brett maxwell

brett maxwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

sounds great, but I'm really hoping a 35mm equivalent will come. they probably don't feel the need since the X100 has it covered.

#4 Matty Westside

Matty Westside

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 AM
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

Focal lengths seem odd. Each of those would make more sense if the length was AFTER the conversion for APSC, not before.

Also, not sure how accurate this is as the XS-1 was announced back with the X10 and is not an interchangeable lens camera.

My Flickr Photos

Primary Cameras
Leica MP
Fuji X100S
Hasselblad 500 C/M

#5 fearofhummingbird

fearofhummingbird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

For my taste the focal lengths are near perfect (ah, maybe I would opt for a slightly shorter "normal" lens). Also it allows the x100 to retain its value as Fuji's answer to 35 length.

Focal lengths seem odd. Each of those would make more sense if the length was AFTER the conversion for APSC, not before.

Also, not sure how accurate this is as the XS-1 was announced back with the X10 and is not an interchangeable lens camera.

#6 brett maxwell

brett maxwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

28, 50, and 90mm are very traditional rangefinder focal lengths, so they do make sense in that regard. I'm just hoping they come out with the other common focal length, 35mm.

This press release seems to be announcing their 2012 lineup (at least the first few quarters), and since the XS-1 will first ship in 2012 it makes sense to include it.

#7 cosinaphile

cosinaphile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

hooray

28mm a 50mm a 90mm equiv prime....... what great new

2nd gen vf....nice lets hope its gota bigger battery and surerfaster af and real mf
i shoot with adapted glass on the ep1 the gf1
i shoot with the ricoh gxr system and m mount glass
i shoot with the samsung X-E1 and ricoh gx 200
i shoot with the fujifilm x 100 and x 10

#8 noahpurdy

noahpurdy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:34 AM

I'm REALLY hoping these lenses have leaf shutters. If they do I very-well may sell off my DSLR kit for it.

-N

#9 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,532 posts
  • Local time: 08:22 PM
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

I'm REALLY hoping these lenses have leaf shutters. If they do I very-well may sell off my DSLR kit for it.

I'd hope so too, because this would ensure (a) that the camera would be similarly silent and inconspicuous as the X100, and (b ) it would enable high flash sync speeds for good small-flash shooting versatility.

OTOH, this would make it difficult to use this camera with lenses that do not contain a leaf shutter unless the camera would also feature some kind of electronic shutter function.

#10 Vetiver

Vetiver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 06:22 PM
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

Getting closer to the real thing?

mentions a new APS-C CMOS sensor with X-Trans technology developed by FujiFilm.

Edit by Admin: Direct reproduction of this article is removed for copyright reasons. Let's all help to protect our forum against unnecessary litigations.

#11 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,532 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:35 AM

Translation of the French article's main points:

• Deliveries will start in March
  • Camera kit includes 35mm lens and will be priced around € 1,300
  • Other lenses will be priced around € 600
  • Camera features APS-C sized sensor (crop factor 1.5)
  • Sensor will feature a color filter pattern w/ 6 filter sites per pixel instead of the usual 4 of a normal Bayer pattern; no AA filter required -> higher native sensor resolution
  • 60mm lens has macro capabilities
  • "X-Mount" bayonet system features 17.7mm flange-to-sensor distance, and features a minimum distance from back lens to sensor of 7.5mm
  • Hybrid VF w/ zoom function
  • VF features parallax compensation
Points 5 and 8 sound interesting, and I hope they are correct.

The rather "fat" appearance of the lenses lets me hope they contain leaf shutters.

#12 BigTam

BigTam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

• Camera kit includes 35mm lens and will be priced around € 1,300
  • Other lenses will be priced around € 600

The prices will be Euro prices, which include tax, usually at 19 or 20%. This compensates almost exactly for the USD:EUR exchange rate, so US prices will be around 1300-1400 for the kit.

#13 Frankie

Frankie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 AM
  • LocationThe Left Coast

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

Long ago when the prospect that a Fuji-MILC was in the works, I posted that the new camera might well have a zoom-OVF plus EVF, the same in-the-lens B~1/4000 shutter, an EXR sensor, a new mount...

Despite the arguments that ensured...especially about M-mount...it now seems I was spot on. I also predicted that the new camera plus all the lenses [initially] offered, will cost less that just any one Leica glass...I was correct as well.

With the new X-mount 17.7mm flange-to-sensor distance, there is plenty of room for building shim adapters for M- or E-mount glass...albeit without RF patch, electronic camera functions or shutter.

I would be very happy with a 28/50/90mm equiv. lens array. I had never understood why macro mode in the X100's 35mm equiv. lens was so important. Macro mode in the 90mm equiv. makes far more sense.

I would keep or sell my X100 depending on market condition. My Leica, Zeiss, Epson and M-mount lenses will soon be for sale...along with a few pieces in my Nikon museum.

#14 whtchocla7e

whtchocla7e

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:51 AM

External AF using the small window above the lens mount?
It has two small "sensors" on each side of a larger "sensor". Very interesting.

Could it be infrared AF? Phase detection?

#15 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,532 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

External AF using the small window above the lens mount?
It has two small "sensors" on each side of a larger "sensor". Very interesting.

Could it be infrared AF? Phase detection?

Nope. The "small window" probably is the AF assist light, and the two "sensors" actually are openings for a stereo microphone. So, the X-Pro1 rather has a video function.

#16 Andephotographic

Andephotographic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

Comes out in March, I get tax rebate in April. Perfect!

#17 Iansky

Iansky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 PM
  • LocationThe Cotswolds, UK

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:51 AM

Looks very tasty and it also looks as if they are going to do a 3 lens kit with case.

Time will tell and as long as IQ surpasses that of the X100 as well as having good build quality I will definately be interested.

Like many others and I reflected these views in a post elsewhere many months ago, I suspected the X100 was a "Toe in the water" punt from Fuji to see if there was a market for a rangefinder style retro camera with modern internals and producing high quality image, it is obvious from the popularity of the X100 as well as other manufacturers who are releasing retro style models that the pendulum has swung back and people are re-developing a taste for "What once was" with the outward appearance and control of an older camera yet with the modern internals and IQ of the latest.

I would suggest that if this camera is everything Fuji want it to be and it lives up to the hype IQ wise, Leica are going to have to buck thier ideas up - having said that, they have intimated that they will be releasing a new camera of sorts in 2012 so perhaps they are planning on an APS-C model to compete..........time will tell, but they need it.
Ian
www.571Photography.blogspot.com
www.Ianskyphotosite.blogspot.com

#18 Andephotographic

Andephotographic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Leica might have to postpone that release though if Kodak really do go tits up as it's them that make their sensors.

#19 robert

robert

Founder

• Administrators
  • 5,560 posts
  • LocationDriftwood, TX

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

Any sensor technology that is good enough for Leica will survive Kodak reorg.

I'm most curious about whether the lenses have leaf shutters. My gut says no, but I guess we'll find out in a few days at CES...

--Robert

[site disclosures]

#20 Andephotographic

Andephotographic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

Here's hoping.

I'm more worried about the Tri-X production line continuing to function.

#21 WT21

WT21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

Any sensor technology that is good enough for Leica will survive Kodak reorg.

I'm most curious about whether the lenses have leaf shutters. My gut says no, but I guess we'll find out in a few days at CES...

I believe Kodak already sold it's sensor business to a private investment company.

This Fuji cam is gorgeous, and I like the nearer-term release date.

#22 robert

robert

Founder

• Administrators
  • 5,560 posts
  • LocationDriftwood, TX

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Not concerned about Tri-X. Any product that is profitable will survive reorg.

Let's keep the discussion to the X-Pro1. :)

--Robert

[site disclosures]

#23 chrisjoy

chrisjoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Keeping my fingers crossed that I can adapt my Zeiss lenses to this body - as well as functioning MF and a competent AF. I absolutely love the images the X100 produces, but I have to shoot many photos more than once to nail focus - especially if my subject is moving. I'm hoping this will allow me to combine my X100 (about to drop on ebay anyway because of the disappointing focus) and my Nex5 into one system - and possibly allow me to finally say goodbye to my 5d2. If I can't adapt, I'm leaning toward a Nex7 with the X100/Nex5 proceeds.

#24 whtchocla7e

whtchocla7e

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

Nope. The "small window" probably is the AF assist light, and the two "sensors" actually are openings for a stereo microphone. So, the X-Pro1 rather has a video function.

I still think it could be an AF sensor.

#25 Guest_John C_*

Guest_John C_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

Long ago when the prospect that a Fuji-MILC was in the works, I posted that the new camera might well have a zoom-OVF plus EVF, the same in-the-lens B~1/4000 shutter, an EXR sensor, a new mount...

Despite the arguments that ensured...especially about M-mount...it now seems I was spot on.

It doesn't have an EXR sensor. It uses an EXR processor, like the X100.

#26 Chris Gachot

Chris Gachot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Looks nice. Not for me, but looks nice.

#27 asmartkid

asmartkid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

The article explicitly mentions that the two sensors are external focus sensor, maybe not unlike those of the Ricoh GR
Posted Image
I hope they are not a microphone , I really don't care about video in my cameras...

----
I have re-read the article, they "think" is external AF... maybe they are microphones after all <_<

Edited by asmartkid, 05 January 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#28 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,532 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have read the French article several times, and their reference to "external AF" just doesn't make sense.

I think this camera will technically stay in line with the concept of the X100 and not offer IR assisted autofocus (but video instead ;) ).
  • flysurfer likes this

#29 bwcolor

bwcolor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 AM
  • Location400 Miles North of LaLa Land

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

I do hope that they address both auto and manual focus concerns. I don't think that Fuji should pass up improvements just because they were not available in the X100, but these look like stereo microphones. Perhaps they are IR. or ultrasonic AF assist, but contrast AF is certainly the main focusing technology.

Legacy viewfinder frames/parallax would be an unlikely, but possible firmware gift from Fuji...manually setting focal length.

#30 videogamemaker

videogamemaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIceland

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

I had never understood why macro mode in the X100's 35mm equiv. lens was so important. Macro mode in the 90mm equiv. makes far more sense.

It makes perfect sense. I use it now as my sole camera, and I love the macro function. Without it, X100 owners would be without macro capabilities, since it's not an interchangeable lens camera.

For example (candied citrus peal for Stollen):
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-Pro1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users